New Year's Luncheon RSVP deadline is today
If you plan to attend Cincinnati State's Virtual New Year's Luncheon Celebration for College employees and retirees, your last chance to RSVP is today, Jan. 10, by 5 p.m.
The Luncheon will take place Thursday, Jan. 13, from noon to 1:15 p.m. and is sponsored by the Cincinnati State Foundation.
To receive the Zoom link for the celebration and reserve your boxed lunch, please send your RSVP today to Kim Taylor (email@example.com).
Options to pick up your ready-to-heat boxed meal:
- Drive-by pick up from the Funky's Catering truck in Parking Lot C (corner of Central Parkway and Ludlow Ave; enter from Ludlow) on Wednesday, Jan. 12, from 3 to 5 p.m. or Thursday, Jan. 13, from 9 to 11 a.m.
- If you're on campus, pick up your lunch in ATLC 028 (Butchery Lab, across from the Game Room) between 10:30 a.m. and noon on Jan. 13.
- Baked Penne Meatball Casserole with Meat Sauce and Three Cheeses, plus salad, bread, & dessert
- Vegan Campanelle Pasta with Vegan Meatballs, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Toasted Almonds, Asparagus & Pesto Aglia e Olio, plus salad, bread, & dessert
New Student Welcome Days offered via Zoom on Jan. 13 & 15
Welcome Days for new Spring Semester students will be offered virtually (via Zoom) on Jan. 13 and 15.
Faculty and staff members are encouraged to share the links below with incoming students so they can register for one of these sessions:
- Thursday, Jan. 13 - 6 to 7:30 p.m. - Click to register
- Saturday, Jan. 15 - 9 to 10:30 a.m. - Click to register
Participants in the Virtual Welcome Days will have opportunities to learn what to expect as a Cincinnati State student, learn about student services, navigate College software systems, and ask questions.
If you have questions about the Welcome Days, please call Admissions at (513) 861-7700.
Transfer Center offers virtual-only services in January
The Cincinnati State Transfer Center is suspending in-person services for the rest of the month of January, but virtual services will continue.
Virtual Transfer Center services are available this week (Jan. 10 to 14) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday.
- To set up a virtual visit with the Transfer Center Director, Dr. Myshamil Walker, send her an email message (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (513) 569-1884.
- Virtual visits with representatives of 4-year schools will begin after Spring Semester classes start on Jan. 18.
The January calendar of college and university visits will be published later this week.
Online Learning Support Jan. 10-14 includes Blackboard Office hours & more
The Office of Online Learning is providing support during the week of Jan. 10 including:
- training for new users of Blackboard
- "office hours" for new or experienced users of Blackboard
- information sessions for those who want to learn more about the Quality Matters (QM) standards for online courses
- support for new or experienced users of Zoom
For more information about all resources available from the Office of Online Learning, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard. Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.
Introduction to Blackboard is facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey, Instructional Designer
Three in-person sessions are scheduled:
- Monday, Jan. 10 - 1-4 p.m., Main 347
- Wednesday, Jan. 12 - 5-8 p.m., Main 347
- Thursday, Jan. 13 - 8 a.m.-noon, Main 347
This hands-on training is for new Blackboard users who would like to get all of the basics in one session. During the session, attendees will:
- Log onto the Blackboard site
- Add folders and course materials
- Navigate within the Blackboard attachments environment
- Add announcements
- Customize your Blackboard “home page”
- Use Blackboard's email tool
- Begin to modify a course site and customize it for your individual needs
Ensuring Quality in Online Course Design with Quality Matters (QM) Standards is facilitated by Dr. Stephanie Stafford, Assistant Dean of Online Learning
In-person and Zoom sessions are available.
This series focuses on the design of online courses, not on specific delivery or teaching methods.
- Sessions should be of interest to those who are new to developing and/or teaching fully online courses, and those who have not previously applied the Quality Matters (QM) Standards for online courses.
- Sessions also may be useful to those looking to review the QM Standards.
QM Standard 1: Course Overview and Introduction
- Monday, Jan. 10, 11 a.m.-noon, Main 347
- Tuesday, Jan. 11, 10-11 a.m., on Zoom. Click here - passcode: 050220
QM Standard 2: Learning Objectives (Competencies)
- Monday, Jan. 10, noon-1 p.m., Main 347
- Tuesday, Jan. 11, 11 a.m.-noon, on Zoom. Click here - passcode: 050220
QM Standard 3: Assessment and Measurement
- Wednesday, Jan. 12, 1-2 p.m., on Zoom. Click here - passcode: 050220
- Thursday, Jan. 13, 1-2 p.m. - Moved to Zoom - Click here - passcode: 050220
QM Standard 4: Instructional Materials
- Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2-3 p.m., on Zoom. Click here - passcode: 050220
- Thursday, Jan. 13, 2-3 p.m. - Moved to Zoom - Click here - passcode: 050220
Blackboard Office Hours (via Zoom) are facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey
- Tuesday, Jan. 11 - 1-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 12 - 2-3 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 14 - 10-11 a.m.
Drop-in as needed to get help with specific Blackboard tools, troubleshooting, or any remote learning-related topic. Come prepared with your specific needs and you'll get help seeking solutions.
- Meeting ID: 810 6058 5299 | Passcode: 672017
Remote Assistance from the Instructional Designer | Self-paced "Teaching Online" course
Dr. McKamey is available to provide remote assistance via Zoom to help individuals with online course and Blackboard issues.
Contact Jon by email (email@example.com) for an appointment and Zoom room details.
Faculty members are encouraged to sign up for the self-paced, 6-module online course Teaching Online for Cincinnati State, facilitated by Dr. McKamey.
Faculty can enroll in the course at any time. See the weekly PDF training schedule for more information.
Zoom Support for Faculty & Staff (via Zoom) is facilitated by Paul D. DeNu, Technical Communication Specialist
To schedule an appointment for help with Zoom troubleshooting or training, send email to Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org, and then you can join Paul on Zoom at the scheduled time.
- Meeting ID: 814 3861 4572 | Passcode: 5m201r
Paul is also available by appointment to provide individual training and help with concerns related to Zoom, as well as help with other learning technology (Collaborate, audio/video work, Screencast-O-Matic, closed captioning, accessibility, and Blackboard assistance).
I-75 / I-74 Construction Updates - Jan. 10-14
The Interstate 75/I-74 major reconstruction project has scheduled some overnight restrictions throughout the week.
- Monday, Jan. 10:
- Single-lane closure on I-75 South from Mitchell Avenue to the I-74 split between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 11.
- Single-lane closure on I-74 West from I-75 to Montana Avenue between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Tuesday.
- Full closure of the ramp from I-74 West to Beekman Street between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Tuesday.
- Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 11-13:
- Single-lane closure on I-74 West from I-75 to Montana Avenue nightly between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. the following day.
- Full closure of the ramp from I-74 West to Beekman Street nightly between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. the following day.
All scheduled work is contingent upon weather, so the timeline for the project is subject to change.
To help ensure the safety of construction workers and the traveling public, motorists should remain alert, reduce their speed, and watch for stopped traffic while passing through the work zones.
For detailed traffic and construction information, visit OHGO.com.
- Library adjusts service hours for start of Spring semester
- College Closed for MLK Day on Jan. 17
- College Drive & Lot D Parking open again
- High-quality free lunches available today (supplies limited)
- Spring Semester will start with increased remote instruction & revised protocols for student & employee safety
- Food Pantry is open by appointment through Jan. 28
- Giving Challenge for 21-22 ends today
- Overlook and Bakery Hill resume full service on Jan. 18
- If your Outlook calendar invitations automatically add MS Teams links, here's how to fix it
- Webinar series examines the changing professor/student dynamic
- - Spring Semester begins
- - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 1/25 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 2/1 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 2/8 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 2/9 - Work-Study Employment Workshop
- Wed. 2/9 - Work-Study Employment Workshop
- Tue. 2/15 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 2/16 - Work-Study Employment Job Fair
- Tue. 2/22 - Provost's Academic Update